Thursday, December 31, 2015

Belgium Waffles - Best Ever!



First off - you know I love waffles - I have quite a few recipes - but the funny thing is this was the recipe my mom always used - and I avoided it. Not because she was a bad cook, or any other reason besides I HATE to have to separate eggs and beat the whites - yes that means I rarely (read never) make a soufflé - actually I have to take that back - I do make this one breakfast one, but haven't in a long time - I have to remember that one - it's great (and worth the beating!) And shit - I just searched my own damn blog and found the polenta one too - OK, so not never - but rarely! Anyway - this one I will do again - once I get all the ones eaten out of the freezer - and I have to say using the Belgium waffle maker really made them stand out - but don't worry if you don't have one - I remember these as delicious with a normal waffle maker too. So yes, beating the damn whites makes them light and fluffy, and all that butter didn't hurt either. New Years resolution - make your own waffles and freeze them - who needs eggos?

Belgium Waffles makes about a dozen squares

1 and 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 egg yolks
1 and 3/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter melted
2 egg whites BEATEN until stiff peaks form (stop whining)
chopped pecans (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl beat egg yolks with a fork and then mix in milk, vanilla and melted butter. Add them to the dry bowl now - whisking until blended but slightly lumpy. After beating the whites, gently fold them into the batter - don't over mix or you will undo all that aeration in the whites. Bake in your waffle iron of choice - and sprinkle with chopped pecans before you close the lid if you like - personally I love nuts, but these might be better without as it does take away from their fluffy goodness. Enjoy!

AND may I say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! These would be delicious tomorrow before you have your black-eyed peas!

2 comments: